Call for Entries
The Guadalajara International Film Festival (FICG) invites producers and filmmakers from Ibero-America to submit their films for its 34th edition that will take place from March 8th to 15th, 2019.
For the competitive sections will be considered films from Mexico, Latin America, Spain, and Portugal completed in 2018 or 2019 that have not been premiered and exhibited in Mexico* in film festivals, public theaters, television, internet nor distributed in video or DVD/Blu-ray.
*Mexican documentary films may have one screening prior to the FICG.
Mezcal Award to the best Mexican Film
All Mexican feature films or documentaries that have their national premiere at the Festival are eligible for this award
Best Mexican Film: $500,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
• Audience Award: $100,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
Ibero-American Narrative Film (Feature) / Running time: 60 minutes or more.
• Best Film: $250,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the main production company.
• Special Jury Prize: $125,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the main production company.
• Best Director: $150,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
• Best First Feature: $125,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
Ibero-American Documentary (Feature) / Running time: 45 minutes or more.
• Best Documentary: $150,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
• Special Jury Prize: $100,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
• Maguey Award.
Full-length narrative or documentary features from any part of the world, produced in 2018 or 2019, which deal with Queer subject matters related to the LGBTTTIQ+ community. Features competing in the Ibero-American Narrative and/or Documentary sections, as well as in Mezcal Award section, are also eligible to compete here.
Ibero-American Short Film / Running time: up to 30 minutes including end credits.
Narrative and documentary short films.
• Best Short Film: $75,000.00 Mexican pesos awarded to the director.
The animation sections for full-length features and short films (Premio Rigo Mora) will be announced later this year.
OUT OF COMPETITION
In addition to the Competitive Section, the Festival comprises a film program including Guest of Honor (a representative selection of the contemporary film industry in the region) in 2019, Chile will be joining us in this section. FICG also has sections with the focus on music, environmental, films for kids, tributes and international panoramas representing the film production from certain countries. The films produced outside Ibero-America may register to participate in these sections.
Through this call for entries may be submitted films wishing to be a part of the culinary cinema section, which will select films that describe a part of the alimentary production chain or showing an important gastronomic culture.
Features submitted in the Competitive Section may be invited to participate in any of these sections.
The films selected to participate at FICG34 must deliver a final digital screening copy in DCP and Blu-ray (as a backup) on Monday, February 4th, 2019 at the latest. Competitive films in Spanish must have English subtitles. Competitive films in English must have Spanish subtitles. Films in a different language must have subtitles in Spanish and English.
• In both scenarios, subtitling costs must be covered by the institution or company submitting the film.
SUBMISSION AND SELECTION
FICG submissions are free. All films are evaluated by a selection committee integrated by programmers, filmmakers, critics and presided by the Programming Director and the General Director of the Festival.
To participate, films must be submitted following these steps:
• Fill out the registration form located at www.ficg.mx from Sunday, July 8th, 2018, until the Friday, October 26th, 2018, at 18:00 hours (GMT-6)
• Send via the submission form a link to the final cut or otherwise the work in progress of the film for online viewing (Streaming). This link should be private and password protected. No physical screeners (Blu-ray/ DVD) are accepted.
• Read and accept the conditions of participation set out in this call for entries and in the regulation of participants available on the official website.
The films selected for the Competitive Section of FICG34 will receive a direct invitation from the General Director and will be announced on FICG’s website on Monday, January 14th, 2019.
All the selected films should send an online screener of the final cut for exhibition and rating purposes which has to arrive on Friday, January 25th, 2019 at the latest. These films automatically will be part of the Guadalajara Film Market’s video library.
Selected works could be showcased on national and international film festivals were FICG participates during 2019. The FICG’s winners will be invited to participate in FICG in LA 2019.