Call for Entries
The Guadalajara International Film Festival (FICG) invites producers and filmmakers from Ibero-America to submit their films for its 33rd edition that will take place from March 9th to 16th, 2018.
For the competitive sections will be considered films from Mexico, Latin America, Spain and Portugal completed in 2017 or 2018 that have not been premiered and exhibited in Mexico* in film festivals, public theaters, television, internet nor distributed in video or DVD/Blu-ray.
*Mexican documentary films may have one screening prior the FICG.
Mezcal Award to the best Mexican Film
Award to the best Mexican feature film, documentary or fiction, premiered at the FICG33 in any of its sections.
- Best Mexican Film: $500,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
- Audience Award: $100,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
Ibero-American Narrative Film (Feature) / Running time: 60 minutes or more.
- Best Film: $250,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the main producer.
- Special Jury Prize: $125,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the main producer.
- Best Director: $150,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
- Best First Feature: $125,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
Ibero-American Documentary (Feature) / Running time: 45 minutes or more.
- Best Documentary: $150,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
- Special Jury Prize: $100,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
Ibero-American Short Film / Running time: up to 30 minutes including end credits.
Live action, animation and documentary short films.
- Best Short Film: $75,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
Rigo Mora Award
Award to the best Mexican animation short film from the Ibero-American Short Film section.
- Best Mexican Animation Short Film: $100,000.00 Mexican Pesos awarded to the director.
Full-length narrative or documentary features from any part of the world, produced in 2017 or 2018, which deal with Queer subject matters related to the LGBTTTI community. Features competing in the Ibero-American Narrative and/or Documentary sections, as well as in Mezcal Award section, are also eligible to compete here.
OUT OF COMPETITION
In addition to the Competitive Section, the Festival comprises a film program including Guest of Honor (a representative selection of the contemporary film industry in the region) in 2018, Catalonia will be joining us in this section. FICG also has sections with focus on music, environmental, films for kids, tributes and international panoramas representing the film production from certain countries. The films produced outside of Ibero-America may register to participate in these sections.
No entries of short films outside the Competitive Section will be accepted apart from the Guest of honor.
Through this call for entries may be submitted films wishing to be a part of the culinary cinema section, which will select films that describe a part of the alimentary production chain or showing an important gastronomic culture.
Features submitted in the Competitive Section may be invited to participate in any of these sections.
The films selected to participate at FICG33 must deliver a final digital screening copy in DCP and Blu-ray (as a backup) on Monday, February 5th, 2018 at the latest. Competitive films in Spanish must have English subtitles. Competitive films in English must have spanish subtitles. Films in a different language must have subtitles in Spanish and English.
- In both scenarios, subtitling costs must be covered by the institution or company submitting the film.
SUBMISSION AND SELECTION
FICG submissions are free. All films are evaluated by a selection committee integrated by programmers, filmmakers, critics and presided by the Programming Director and the General Director of the Festival.
To participate, films must be submitted following these steps:
- Fill out the registration form located at from Sunday, July 2nd 2017, until the Friday, October 27th 2017, at 18:00 hours (GMT-6)
- Send via the submission form a link to the final cut or otherwise the work in progress of the Film for online viewing (Streaming). This link should be private and password protected. No physical screeners (Blu-ray/ DVD) are accepted.
- Read and accept the conditions of participation set out in this call for entries and in the regulation of participants available on the official website.
The films selected for the Competitive Section of FICG33 will receive a direct invitation from the General Director and will be announced on FICG’s website on Monday, January 15th, 2018.
All the selected films should send an online screener of the final cut for exhibition and rating purposes which has to arrive on Monday, January 22nd, 2018 at the latest. These films automatically will be part of the Guadalajara Film Market’s video library.
Selected works could be showcased on national and international film festivals were FICG participates during 2018 and 2019. The FICG’s winners will be invited to participate in FICG in LA 2018.